Saturday 17 August 2013

CSS EXAM ENGLISH PRECIS AND COMPOSITION SOLVED PAPER 2000

Question 7:

Complete the conversation with the correct idiom in the correct form: (10)

Keep regular hours, an unearthly hour, the small hours, a night owl, have a night out, at any moment, have one’s moments, have a minute to all one’s own, a night on the town, on the spur of the moment:


"morning, Paul! You look tired". "Yes I am. I had a late night last night. I’m not usually
a night owl but I had a night out, some friends yesterday. I have been so busy all week that I’ve hardly a night on the town so I really enjoyed the small hours. I start work early, so I usually Keep regular hours but yesterday was an exception. I didn’t think. I got into bed and must have fallen asleep, because the next thing I knew my landlady was shaking me, saying she was sorry to wake me at such an unearthly hour, but she thought there was a burglar in the kitchen".

"Well where was her husband?"

"Mr. Dick’s working on the night-shift, and I was the only man in the house. I am usually a coward, but I do have my moments so I grabbed my tennis racket, which was the only thing I could think of on the spur of the moment, and crept downstairs".

"And then?"

" I saw a dark figure in the kitchen with a knife in his hand, ready to strike at any moment. I was just about to hit him with the racket, when a voice shouted out, " "Hey!
It’s me! It was Mr. Dick. He had forgotten his sandwiches".

-------------------------

Question1: Precis

Title: Bourgeois of 9th century

Explaining the bourgeois of 9th century, Besant writes that this class had its own values which were not dictated by society. They did not welcome people belonging to upper class into their domain. Middle class had a sense of individuality and respect for itself. In later ages, when they increased in number, they became more aware of their importance and respectable position in society. They criticized lavishness of upper class and acted as role models for lower class. They had their own criterion of respect. Bad behaviour, prodigy and haughtiness were not considered respectable.

Word Count
Original: 282
Precis: 94

-------------------------

4. Correct the following sentences:

(a) The lake free zed rapidly.
(a) The lake froze rapidly.

(b) The firm was unwilling to forego its usual commission.
(b) The firm was unwilling to forego its commission.


(c) We watched the lambs gamble on the green.
(c) We watched the lambs gambling on the green.

(d) He belonged to the gild of carpenters.
(d) He belonged to the guild of carpenters.

(e) He hadn’t ought to have spoken.
(e) He hadn't ought to speak. (not sure)

(f) Is this his half – brother?
(f) Is he his half-brother?

(g) Hay! Watch out for the car!
(g) Hay! Watch out the car!

(h) This is the historical spot where he was shot dead.
(h) This is the historic spot where he was shot dead.

(i) We bought a Japanee print.
(i) We bought a Japanese print.

(j) Fresh flowers smell sweetly.
(j) Fresh flowers smell sweet.

4 comments:

  1. I think you have altered the view of the author isn't it ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question 7:

    Complete the conversation with the correct idiom in the correct form: (10)

    Keep regular hours, an unearthly hour, the small hours, a night owl, have a night out, at any moment, have one’s moments, have a minute to all one’s own, a night on the town, on the spur of the moment:
    plz correct this question by inserting the idioms in same order written in the question. your have put idioms in wrong order. plz correct.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very good step which you are giving such euogh information to us.

    ReplyDelete